Monday, July 20, 2015

Judge Not!

 Last week we used the illustration of being on a plane that was going through some turbulence and having to put on our seat belts because it was rough as we discussed sin.  Well, over the next few article’s it may really get rough because now the Apostle Paul turns his attention to those in the church Jews and Gentiles who play the moralist-those who are judging others.  Let’s start with this verse: “Therefore, any one of you who judges is without excuse. For when you judge another, you condemn yourself, since you, the judge, do the same things. “Romans 2:1” (ESV)
I cannot tell you how many times I have heard the comment: “I would go to church but they are all hypocrites down there.”  Followed by this verse: Do not judge, so that you won’t be judged? “Matthew 7:1” I would like to share with you what the ESV Study Bible notes say concerning Romans 2:1: “God does not condemn them merely because they judge others but because they practiced the same sins they condemned in others (the very same things, esp. those mentioned in 1:29-32.)  So it doesn’t matter if you are a Jewish Christian or a Gentile Christian at some point in our lives sin blinds us and we all play the moralist or more commonly known as the hypocrite.  I am guilty of it myself.  Here is what happens, when I pass judgment on another, I am condemning them.  The Bible is teaching me however, that I am without excuse.  That is I am not able to justify my actions in this passing of judgment if I am practicing the same sin. I am playing God, which I am not.  When I judge someone I’m making a legal decision holding them guilty.  We condemn ourselves if we are practicing or doing the same thing.  This is a true case of the pot calling the kettle black.  How does God change us?
God changes the hypocrites (moralist) through the gospel of Jesus Christ.  When a person is sitting under the teaching of God’s Word, the inner work of the Holy Spirit takes the word of God and applies it to their hearts.  As heart transformation takes place, the person lives out, works out, what is happening on the inside of their heart.  Just as Jesus transformed the water into wine, he can transform anybody’s life.  This is why I would invite you to pray for us in the local Church because we do not want to play the hypocrite, we want you to see our Savior, Jesus Christ.  If you want your life to be transformed or changed but don’t know how, ask Jesus to come into your heart and change you.  I dare you to follow Jesus in daily discipleship.  You can do this by reading the copy of God's word and praying it back to him asking that He change your heart to be just like his.     

No comments:

Post a Comment